A planning scheme provides future direction and guides the way development occurs in a local government area. They can help Council to:
- ensure that there is enough land available for housing, parks, community facilities, industry and business uses
- ensure that incompatible land uses do not impact on one another
- ensure development is designed and carried out appropriately
- protect resources such as waterways, vegetation and agricultural land
- provide more efficient infrastructure such as water, sewerage and road networks.
The Bulloo Shire Planning Scheme (PDF) provides more information.
This fact sheet describes the circumstances under which an applicant may request a local government to apply a superseded planning scheme to a development application or request compliance assessment under such a scheme.