I am new to development. What do I need to know to get started?

Understanding the Development Application Process is one of the first things you will need to know. This will help you understand the bigger picture under which your application will be determined. It's also important to know that all development applications are governed by the Planning Act 2016 (PDF) and will be assessed against the Bulloo Shire Planning Scheme 2019 (PDF).

The Development Application Process generally consists of five stages:

  • Application stage
  • Information and referral stage
  • Notification stage
  • Decision stage
  • Compliance stage

Code Assessment for Material Change of Use applications Information Sheet (PDF)

Impact assessment for Material Change of Use applications Information Sheet (PDF)

Do I need a Development Application?

Council's Planning Scheme and the Planning Act 2016 (PDF) detail when a development application is required.

How can I view or purchase a copy of the Bulloo Shire Planning Scheme?

A hardcopy of the Bulloo Shire Planning Scheme can be purchased from Council.

Alternatively, the Planning Scheme is also available on Council's Town Planning webpage.

What is the zoning of my property?

The zoning of land is used to determine if planning approval is required for various developments, the level of assessment required, and the type of development that is appropriate in the various parts of the region.

The zoning of land under the planning scheme is not the same as the categories used for rating purposes, i.e. the category which would appear on your rates notice.

To find the zoning of your property, use the Legend in the Zoning Maps ‘Town of Thargomindah’, ‘Town of Hungerford’ and ‘Town of Noccundra’ on page 196 of the Planning Scheme.

How long does it take to assess a Planning Application?

The Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning (DSDMIP) provides a 5 question survey which generates an IDAS flow chart with indicated timeframes for the application for a development permit.