Frequently Asked Questions Frequently Asked Questions

How do I order bins for my new house?

Contact the Bulloo Shire Council to order a wheelie bin.  The bins will be delivered to your home.

Who owns the bins?

Bulloo Shire Council owns the bins and residents are responsible for the routine cleaning and care of the bins.

What if my bin is damaged?

Contact Bulloo Shire Council to report the problem.  Council will arrange for the bin to be replaced or repaired at no extra cost, unless the bin is damaged through resident misuse.

Can I have more than one waste bin?

Yes, but you must put your request in writing to Council, and you will be required to pay the additional annual charge and a ‘one-off’ bin establishment fee.

What do I do if my bin is not emptied, especially when other bins in my street have been serviced?

Contact Bulloo Shire Council to report a missed service.  Please note that Council will not provide a return collection for any of the following reasons:

  • If your bin was not out on the kerb before the truck serviced your street
  • If your bin contains items that are not permitted

What time does Council begin their bin rounds?

After 6 am on your collection day.

How should I place my bins out on the kerb for collection?

The bins should be placed on the kerbside outside your premises, with the wheels and handle facing the house.  A 30cm gap should be left between the bins so that the ‘grab-arm’ mechanism of the collection truck can safely pick up your bins.  Position your bins safely away from obstructions such as cars, power poles and trees.

What if I miss my service day?

If you have not placed your bins out for collection on the scheduled service day, Council will not return to service your bin.