Planning & Development Planning & Development

Building Building

Building Approvals

Building approvals ensure buildings are constructed to standards that address ehalth adn amenity, safety (structural and fire) and sustainability.

Applicatios for building approvals are assessed against the building assessment provisions which include the Building Code of Australia and the Queensland Development Code.

The approval process involves assessment by an accredited building certifier agaist the Building Act 1975 and associated regulations and standards, and the ussye of a building permit and subsequent inspections to ensure compliance


IDAS Forms

For all forms for Development click here.

For all plumbers and drainers forms click here.


Dwellings and Additions

Before constructing a dwelling or making an addition or extension to your existing home, you will likley need to submut a building applicaiton.

Building Applications are necessary for these types of building activities:

  • new buildings
  • alterations or additions to existing buildings
  • swimming pools
  • sheds (including garden sheds
  • roofed or unroofer patio additions
  • pergolas attached to dwellings
  • the removal of demolition of buildings
  • material change of use; and
  • sub-division of land (reconfiguration of parcel/lot)

These approvals are also known as building permits and can be obtained from Council or a private building certifier.

Some aspects of domestic building work such as the maximum height, setback or character of a building may be controlled under a Council's planning scheme and a planning permit is required from Council.



The Queensland Government has introduced new pool safety laws aimed at further reducing the incidences of drowing and serious immersion injuries of young children in swimming pools.  These laws affect new and exisitng pools.

Under these laws, you need to:

  • Have a compliant pool and barrier fence. Fine out what it means to comply here.
  • Register your pool with QBCC here.

Pool Compliance Inspections

Council's licensed pool safety inspectors carry out pool inspection, issue pool safety certificates and forward certificates to teh state government for inclusion on their register.

To arrange for an inspeciton and pool safety certiicate, contact Council on (07) 4621 8000.



Building Approvals are generally not needed for fences if:

  • It is associated with an existing house (or other residential use)
  • It is less that two metres high.
  • It is not associated with a swimming pool 
  • It would not restrict water run-off from adjoining properties.

If you proposed fence does not meet al the aboive requirements, you may need to submit a buildign application. 

When is a building approval required?

If a fence is higher thatn two metres above natural ground level, a Class 10 building approval si required for the fence.

Boundary fences

Generally, the owner of adjoining land must equally contribute to the cost of constructing a dividing fence.  You'll need to agree on the type of fence, the cost, and how it will be built.  It;s a good idea to put an agreement in writing.

The Neighhourhood Disputes (Dividing Fences nad Trees) Act 2011, defines the law relating to construction and repairing fences that divide adjoining land.



Sheds, garages, carports, patios, decks, pergolas and shipping containers require building permits but do not generally require development applicaitons (plannign approvals).